What is the Greenhouse Effect and What is the Gas Involved in it?
You must have heard about global warming, what is it and what damage can it cause. One of the biggest reasons for global warming is the Green House Effect. It is very important for every human being to know what is the Greenhouse Effect and what is the gas in it, because everyone is dependent on this earth. Normal life of human being is not possible without proper environment here. The balance of the environment is the most important, why if the balance is disturbed, there is an effect in the environment and then its effect is directly visible in the lives of the people.
Our earth is getting warmer which we know as global warming. This is the reason that the governments of all the countries are continuously running the program of tree plantation to maintain the balance of the environment and are increasing the greenery of the earth by involving more and more people in it. The more trees there are, the balance of the earth will be maintained, due to the reduction of trees, the amount of carbon dioxide will increase. In this way, it has an important role in increasing the heat of the earth. This post will give you complete information about what is called greenhouse effect here. You will also know here what is the greenhouse effect and what are its advantages and disadvantages.
What is Greenhouse Effect?
Greenhouse effect is a natural process that heats the earth. When sunlight reaches the Earth’s atmosphere, some of it is returned to space and the rest is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When these greenhouse gases increase in the Earth’s atmosphere, the result is that most of the Sun’s rays are absorbed into the Earth’s atmosphere and the back part decreases.
Most of the planets in our solar system are in the grip of cold weather or some are too hot in sunlight. Earth is the only planet where the weather is very mild and stable. Due to the atmosphere of the Earth, many types of seasons are found here, due to which life has been possible in a planet like Earth and which the creatures here can enjoy. 97% of meteorologists believe that humans have changed the Earth’s atmosphere in the last two decades, due to which the problem of global warming has arisen. To understand about global warming, it is important to know how the greenhouse effect plays its role in it.
Earth’s atmosphere is affected by the radiation coming from the Sun every day. A huge amount of radiation of the Sun reaches its atmosphere every day, in which light, ultraviolet rays (UV-rays), infrared, and many other types of radiation reach which cannot be seen by human eyes.
Greenhouse Effect Definition – Greenhouse effect is a process in which the radiations present in sunlight come to the earth’s atmosphere and they increase the heat in the greenhouse gases, which is the main cause of global warming.
What are greenhouse gases?
Greenhouse gases are a mixture of many gases that are capable of holding heat in the atmosphere. Because of this, the surface of our world remains warm and if these gases are not there, then the surface will not be hot either. These are the gases that are the main reason for the changes in the Earth’s atmosphere and its surface temperature.
These greenhouse gases are the root cause of the greenhouse effect. When these gases increase in the atmosphere, its effect also increases. This is the main reason for global warming and also changes the weather cycle. We already know that the higher the greenhouse gases, the temperature of the Earth’s surface will also increase. Because of this, all these gases together are known as greenhouse gas.
What is Green House Gas – Its Main Components
Let us see which are the gases inside the greenhouse gas which play their role in its effect.
Water vapor (Vapour H2O)
By the way, we cannot even imagine that the steam that is formed from water is one of the main greenhouse gas which works to make the atmosphere of our earth warm. The most interesting thing is that steam is not made directly by us humans, it becomes the reason for the change in our weather. As the temperature in the atmosphere increases, the process of water vaporization also accelerates and this steam has a tendency to settle at a lower level of the atmosphere. Where it absorbs the light coming from the sun and the radiation that stays with it and the world warms up.
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Carbon dioxide is the most important of the greenhouse gases. The natural source of carbon dioxide found in the atmosphere is the smoke emanating from the flame heads, any material made of carbon is burnt even then carbon dioxide is produced. Most of the carbon dioxide is produced by organisms when they exhale. These sources are balanced in a way that is a set of physical, chemical biological processes called sinks and they work to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. The most important natural sinks in this are terrestrial vegetation that takes up CO2 during photosynthesis.
Methane is the second most important greenhouse gas. It is more powerful than carbon dioxide. By the way, it is present in less concentration than carbon dioxide. In addition, methane gas lasts for a much shorter time than carbon dioxide. The life time of methane in the atmosphere is about 10 years, while carbon disoxide remains present in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. Methane gas is mainly generated in the tropics and the North Westland.
Ozone is a natural gas made up of 3 molecules of oxygen. It is a major greenhouse gas that produces its effect. On the surface, it is formed due to the reaction of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides in the presence of sunlight. Ozone is present on both the surface of the atmosphere where it protects our earth from the ultraviolet rays coming from the sun.
Nitrous oxide (N2O) and Fluorinated gases
Other gases that are involved in this are mostly produced by industrial activity, including nitrous oxide and fluorinated gases, also known as halocarbons. The additional gases it contains are CFCs, sulfur hexa fluoride, hydrofluorocarbons and perfluorocarbons. The background concentration of nitrous oxide is low due to the natural biological reaction in soil and water. Whereas the presence of fluoride gases extends to industrial sources.
Nitrogen Trifluoride (NF3)
Nitrogen trifluoride is also another gas present in greenhouse gases, the use of NF3 has increased significantly and there are 2 main reasons for this. The first is that its use in microelectronics is increasing and the second is that the air-emission of NF3 was already considered non-existent, hence the use of this gas as an alternative to PFC. was proposed. Because the use of PFC was banned for causing greenhouse gas effect.
Advantages of Greenhouse Effect
Greenhouse gases and their effects are one of the biggest reasons due to which life has become possible in our planet Earth.
- The greenhouse effect maintains a balanced temperature in the surface of the earth, due to which humans, trees, plants and animals become its origin.
- It acts like a filter that sends harmful rays coming from the sun back into space. The ozone layer absorbs the ultraviolet rays of the sun, carbon dioxide and other gases absorb the radiation of long wavelength. Without this effect it would have been impossible to avoid the harmful effects of radiation coming from the sun.
- For a very long time, with the help of this effect, humans have succeeded in growing plants even though there is no season, artificially producing this effect and off-season crops are grown.
- Solar powered water heaters use this effect to heat water. Due to this, our energy is saved and there is also a saving of 20-30 in our electricity bill.
- The same effect works in maintaining the earth’s surface from the sea surface. It prevents the melting of the frozen ice on the pole, and in this way it also saves the earth from sinking.
- Carbon dioxide and ozone gases are very important for our atmosphere. The balance of these gases plays an important role in the normal functioning of the life cycle of our atmosphere.
Disadvantages of Greenhouse Effect
Life is possible in the earth due to the regular balance of these gases and if the balance is not right in it, then there are also its disadvantages.
- Since greenhouse gases maintain the temperature of the earth, its first effect on the weather is when the temperature rises. This means very hot weather as well as natural calamities. The storms and storms that we often see are the result of disturbances in the balance of this effect.
- The height of our sea level is there, that too will be ruined. You must have already studied in schools and colleges that the ice is frozen in the pole, which has started melting due to the continuous increase in temperature and due to its melting, the water level of our ocean is also increasing, due to which the danger of rising has also increased.
- Marine life and ecosystem will be ruined. The oceans absorb carbon dioxide, which increases the alkalinity level of sea water. With the increase of alkalinity, there will be a lot of change in the marine life, its result will also be very bad. The habitat of polar bears and penguins living there will also end, they will also become extinct.
- You must also be feeling that global warming is changing our weather. Rainfall in most parts of the world will be affected due to which the fields will become barren and the area of desert will increase.
- The impact of this effect will be tremendous in the economy as well. Due to the rise in temperature, the world’s global production will decrease by 2-3 percent. The decrease in production will create a shortage in food, humans will have to face famine on famine again and again. Due to which people will start coming in the grip of various diseases.
Overall, due to this effect, the life of human beings will move towards ruin very fast. Before it goes out of control, people will have to wake up and people will have to be made aware by running programs for its prevention.
Friends, nowadays you must have often heard news related to global warming in newspapers, radio and news channels, that is why today through this post, what is the biggest reason for this, what is the greenhouse effect What is Greenhouse effect and what is the gas in it. Have told about it. This is a serious problem which is related to the life of human beings today. Every day we get to see the changes in the weather, such as the occasional rain and the clouds are not visible far and wide during the rainy season.