What is an Operating System and its features?
Operating system is the most important software run on the computer. It manages the computer’s memory and processes as well as the computer’s hardware and software. It allows you to interact with the computer.
If you do not know what is the operating system What is Operating System then it does not matter because by reading this post today you will understand well.
With this you will also know what are the types of operating system and how does it work? You will get the answer of all these questions by reading this post completely.
Friends, there are many parts in the human body which are necessary for survival. But the soul is such a thing that if it is not there then the human body is of no use. As long as the soul is there, the whole body works.
Regardless of whether a part works or not, a person lives. In the same way there is a thing like soul in computer which we call operating system.
You only know what a computer is. It also has many parts. But until this happens, the computer will not work.
Introduction to Operating System
Operating system is a system software which we also call OS in short. In a way, it is like a soul in a computer. Without which the computer cannot function at all.
It conducts all the work between computer hardware and software. This is a kind of interface between the hardware and the users, that is, between us, which connects us to each other.
To put it this way, there is a base due to which all the software and hardware works. All the hardware like keyboard, mouse, printer and software like MS Office, Photoshop and chrome works on all operating systems.
For example, let’s take a house. If there is no land to build a house, then what is the use of having bricks, cement, sand? Now you tell me, will you build a house without land?
Your answer would be no! In the same way, you want to run the computer, you have all the things like mouse, keyboard, printer but the OS is not installed, then yes you have understood right that the computer will not be on.
If you go to the shop and get a new computer, then install Windows 7 or 10 in it and give it. Suppose if you take it home without installing Windows, then you understand that you will have to go to the shop again.
Because your computer will not be on without it.
MS-Word, VLC player are all application software. The software on which we work and the software with which the computer works is called system software.
The system software here is the OS itself. Now you must have understood what this is, let’s take some more information about it.
Function of Operating System
It is because of this that the computer works, but it is also important to know how it works itself. From when the computer starts till the computer is turned off, how is it able to run by handling all the work on itself. This is something to think about. So let us know what are the functions of computer Function of Computer.
- Memory management
- Processor management
- File management
- Device management
- Control over System Performance
- Job Accounting
- Error detecting aids
- Coordination between other software and users
The process of managing primary memory and secondary memory is called memory management. Primary memory which we know as RAM which is volatile memory. And whoever works in the documents, it keeps on temporary storage. Main memory consists of many arrays of words or bits, each of which has its own address. Main memory which is very fast which can be accessed directly from CPU.
When we open any software by double clicking it, it must be in memory. Let’s have a quick glimpse of what else it works for.
- It records every step of the primary memory. Like how much memory is being used and who is using it. Like if we use chrome then how much memory it is consuming and at the same time music player is running then it will also use some memory of RAM separately. It shows all this information.
- In multi programming, the OS decides which process to give how much memory and when.
- Distributes the memory for the program when different programs are started.
- When a program is closed, it conserves memory back.
In a multi programming environment, the operating system decides which process to use the processor, when to give it and for how long. This function is also called process scheduling. It performs the following activities to do process management.
- The OS keeps track of all the work of the processor and keeps recording the status of each process.
- The one who runs this task is called the traffic controller.
- It distributes the processor for any process.
- When a process stops happening, it takes it back.
You will know that every input and output device comes with an accompanying driver to install it. Before using all these input or external devices, we have to install the driver.
If you do not install the driver, the computer does not recognize that device. And because of this the device does not even work.
Although drivers had to be installed for all devices in the OS up to almost Windows 7, but in the latest Windows, drivers have to be installed for very few devices.
This device manages the communication through its driver. Let us see how operating system device management works.
- It tracks all the devices. The program that is used to manage the devices is called I/O controller.
- The OS also decides which process to give to the device, when and for how long. For example, let’s take the Photoshop program. To print a photo in it, as soon as you click on Print, the OS printer which is an output device executes it for a while to process it. When the photo is printed, then he takes it back to the device.
- Use the device for as long as possible as I have mentioned in the above example.
- When the device completes the work, then keeps it inactive by making it inactive.
To use the file easily, we make a folder and keep it inside it. This makes it easy for us to use any file by making it a category wise folder and using it anytime. We also call the directory a folder.
Maintains more folders and files inside the folder. In this way, we know what other tasks the OS does.
- It tracks every information. Along with this, what is the location of the file, when the file was created, what size is it, which user had created it, it also keeps all this information. The program that performs all this process, we call it the file system.
- The OS decides who will get the resource.
- Divides resources among themselves.
- Withdraws resources when not in use.
When we use more computers, we want that only we can use. So for this it also gives us security.
We can create users for ourselves and keep them safe by entering a password. And even if there is more than one user, we can use it separately by creating a personal user for ourselves.
This has the advantage that the system is the same, but we can easily keep our personal data hidden, secure and locked. This operating system gives us all the facilities.
Control Over System Performance
Sometimes it must have happened to you that you must have wanted to start a program and it started after a while.
Or you must have tried to store some of your files and it will be processing for a long time. The OS records all these delays or delays in performance and also records how long after the system has responded to complete a process.
The OS does a lot of work as well as it also works on what tasks a user did till the computer was started and shut down. And it also tracks in which file the work is done.
Error Detecting Aids
Many times it happens that software and programs hang while working. And it also happens that due to some error, the software stops in the middle. The OS also keeps track of all these errors.
Coordination Between other Software and Users
The OS itself makes co-ordination between the programming languages that work inside the computer and the commands and inputs given by the users.
Like when we type “aa”, the system understands what we have written according to the (0,1) code. Then processes it and understands the programming language, then understands it and shows it to us through the output device.
For all this performance, the platform to work in the middle is the OS itself.
Types of Operating System
Every day something or the other changes in the world. In the same way, the OS of the computer also keeps on changing. Technology is getting more advanced.
Now such a phase has come that even on artificial intelligence, scientists have achieved a lot of success.
Now if there is no change in the OS then this is not possible. NASA has now reached Mars. So you can guess from this that the operating system you use at home will be used in rocket science?
No, for this, very advanced OS which are having ultimate features are used. From this you must have understood that it is not just one type.
It has different types according to its use and need. It is used as needed. So let’s know how many types of operating systems are there.
- Batch operating System
- Network Operating System
- Time-Sharing Operating System
- Distributed Operating System
- Real-Time Operating System
Characteristics of Operating
- An operating system is a group of many software programs that form the basis in which other programs can run.
- To install all the software, it is very important to have an operating system.
- The operating system controls all the input and output devices connected to the computer.
- It acts as an interface between the user and the hardware. That is, when we input our work with the keyboard and mouse, the operating system controls it and then shows it to us through the output device.
- If we want to keep our data with safety, then it also gives us security. For this, it also gives us many features.
Friends, now you must have understood very well what this works.
I hope you have got all this information. With the change in technology every day, something new is being improved in this too.
By updating it regularly, we often get many new features. So friends, how did you like this post today?
Friends, today’s information is very important, if you are studying computer related courses and operating system, then it is very important for you to know what is operating system What is operating system.
Along with this, it is also necessary to take information about how many types of operating systems are there types of operating system.