What is a web browser and its features?
We use the Internet to get information online and extract many information every and every day, that’s why today we will know what is a web browser. Hardly anyone does not know what the Internet is, whoever has a smartphone, they do surfing or browsing the Internet every day to extract many information. In this way we are able to connect with the world and do many other things besides this. Whether it is filling the form for any competitive exam or applying for any job. But do you know that after all, what medium do we use to connect to the Internet, if you do not know, then by reading this you will understand completely how the web browser works. What is its specialty and how many types are there.
Apart from this, we will also give you a list of commonly used web browsers. By just being connected to the Internet, the Internet does not work, but such software is required which is capable of getting connectivity to the Internet. You must have seen many such apps in mobile which work only by connecting to the internet like whatsapp, YouTube app but you tell me can you open any website in these apps? So the answer would be no, for this we need a browser. So let us now know what is this web browser and also know what is its definition.
What is a Web Browser?
A web browser is a software program or application that we use to locate, access and access websites and to read and take advantage of the content inside those websites. Just as Excel is a spreadsheet program and uses Word to create documents, in the same way a web browser is a program that uses the Internet.
We never discuss about it in any way, just click on an icon in our mobile or computer and start using the internet and that’s how it works. It happened in the same way that they put the key in the bike and start driving the bike, they do not even try to know how many CC’s the engine of this bike is and what are the features in it. A browser is a group of many structured codes that together complete a series of tasks so that the information is visible to us in the display. browser
Definition of web browser
A web browser is a software program that allows a user to find, access and view web pages. In general, web browser is called browser in short form. It is used to view and access websites on the Internet. Apart from this, the content which is written using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and XML (Extensible Markup Language).
How Web Browser Works?
A browser is a software program that locates and transmits the content present in the World Wide Web including web pages, images, videos, and other files to the user. Talking about the client/server model, in this the browser acts like a client which runs in a computer which sends requests to the web server to get the information. The web server sends the information back to the web browser and displays the result in the computer. Apart from this, the same work is also supported on all those devices.
Web Browser Components
The user interface inside the browser is the place from where the user can interact with it. This includes address bar, home button, refresh button, stop button, back and next button etc. Apart from this, except for the second part window, where the requested web page is displayed, it comes under this.
As the name suggests, the rendering engine is responsible for rendering web pages on the browser screen. Rendering engine HTML, XML, , Documents, and images that are formatted by CSS and so that the generated layout appears on the user interface. can. Different browsers have different rendering engines.
Google Chrome : Blink
Internet Explorer: Trident
Chrome iphone and safari : Webkit
Mozilla Firefox : Gecko
It acts as a bridge between the user interface and the rendering engine. Whatever input is done through the user interface, it also queries and manipulates the rendering engine.
Components that retrieve URLs using the common Internet protocols of HTTP and FTP. Networking handles all matters of Internet communication and security. The network component also uses the cache of the retrieved document so that the network traffic can be reduced.
This is a kind of solid layer. The browser supports storage mechanisms such as local storage, IndexedDB, WebSQL and filesystem. This is a storage place in the local drive of the computer where the browser is installed. It manages user data such as cache, cookies, bookmarks and preferences.
The user backend is used to create the basic user widget box. The work can be done quickly and easily by using the widget as per your convenience.
Difference between Web browser and Web server
Often there is a dilemma among people about what is a web browser and what is a web server. They consider both to be the same but both are completely different from each other. Now we are going to tell this difference.
- A software program that acts as an interface between a server and a client, while a web server is a program or computer that accepts data from a client.
- The browser sends the HTTP request and receives the HTTP response while the web server receives the HTTP request and sends the HTTP response.
- There is no processing model in web browser whereas processing model in web server is Process based, Thread based and Hybrid based.
Features of Web Browser
Every web browser is different from each other and wants to give the best experience to its users. But there are some features without which the user experience may be worse than good . So here we will know about all those basic features which are needed in a web browser.
- The web browser should be able to access web pages in the Internet and should be able to find and display any type of website.
- You should be able to follow the hyperlink on the web, you should also have permission to type the URL to follow it.
- The commands should be easy to access as they should be available in the form of menus, icons and buttons.
- The options should be easily available to get help online.
- When you access the World Wide Web and visit many websites, some of them we like very much and are of our use. To make it easier to access those sites again, we provide two ways to go back to them. One is by going back to the current session and the other way is by bookmarking these sites, you can easily go back to them again. By using bookmarks, you can keep a list of the World Wide Web pages. Using this list, you can easily visit your favorite websites stored at any time.
- One of its main features is that along with giving information in the current page, these other information can also be searched in the World Wide Web.
- In this, you can print out any information from any web page and send documents to other websites through email.
- It should be able to handle text, images, links as well as digital videos.
- Apart from this, a good browser should be able to run animated content.
- There should be different plugins so that you can enable the option as per the requirement and complete your work.
- It should also have the facility to enable cache so that the web page is easy to load and the load on the server is also reduced.
History of Web Browser
- The world’s first web browser was the World Wide Web which was created in 1990. The name of the company that made it was W3 C, whose full name was World Wide Web Consortium and its director was Tim Berners Lee. There was only internet in the World Wide Web, so the name did not accumulate, so its name was changed to Nexus. The situation was not as it is today because at that time it was the only browser through which the Internet was run.
- After that another Internet surfing software was created called Lynx and it was based on text which did not display graphic content.
- To overcome this task, a new surfer Mosaic was created in 1993, in which the image was supported. In this way Mosaic became the most popular browser in the world at that time.
- In 1995, Microsoft launched a browser in the market, which we know today as Internet Explorer. This was the first Internet surfing program created by Microsoft, which people still use today.
- After this, the opera started doing a research project in 1994 and then in the next 2 years it was made available for public use. In a way, this was the beginning of the browser war when one after the other new Internet surfing software was launched in the market and the main competition at that time was between Internet Explorer 3 and Navigator 3 because Microsoft is bringing brand new features with Internet Explorer. was coming.
- Instead of using Navigator, Apple launched the Safari browser for Macintosh computers.
- Right after this Mozilla made Firefox available to the people in the market.
- Apple introduced the mobile safari of its mobile phone and thus remained its possession in ios.
- After this, in 2008, Google Chrome was first introduced by Google. Today you know very well who is the rule in the market and whom people like the most.
- Opera mini was introduced in the market in 2011 to make mobile web surfing better for the people and it also became quite popular among the people.
- Microsoft launched Microsoft Edge in 2015 to give a tough competition to Google.
Types of Web Browser
List of major web browsers currently in use
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- UC Browser
- Microsoft Edge
- Opera Mini (Mobile)
How did you like this post What is web browser Through this post, we have also told that what is the definition of web browser and how many types are there as well as you know what is its history. Although today there are many types of web browsers in the market which make our work easily, but have you ever tried to know how it works.
We also discussed here about the difference between a web browser and a web server. Every day we use it to do many of our work, without this we cannot even go to any website. Here is a list of some of the most used browsers in today’s time. I hope you liked this post and if you found this post really helpful, then share it with your friends as much as possible on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.